Updated: Jul 23
The Congregation of Augustinian Missionaries is a branch of the Augustinian Order (O.S.A) that recognizes Saint Augustine as Father and Master and accepts his Rule and Spirituality. The spirituality of Saint Augustine constitutes the first factor of the Congregational Charism, common to the entire Augustinian family.
It was founded in Madrid, Spain, on May 6, 1890, by a group of three simple women, Tertiary Augustinians of the Beguinage of San Agustín in Barcelona: Madres Querubina Samarra, Mónica Mujal and Clara Cantó, who, Agustina Misionera with children, combined serenity contemplative with the teaching service.
Going back a little further to the origins, in the year 1883, a group of Tertiary Augustinian Sisters from the Barcelona Beguinage showed us their bold and voluntary response to a specific need of the Church, assuming with exemplary availability the missions in the Philippine Archipelago, to take charge of the education of girls orphaned by the cholera plague.
A few years later, in 1890, Querubina, Mónica and Clara, equipped themselves with unconditional availability and left their peaceful retreat from the Beaterio, to found a novitiate in Madrid with the main purpose of training nuns to be sent as missionaries to the Philippines and to be able to provide care to the orphans. This is how the Congregation of Augustinian Missionaries was born when said community, which in addition to training, attended an orphanage for girls in that same place, was canonically constituted on May 6, 1890.
We are a Congregation of apostolic life. We profess to follow Christ in chastity, poverty and obedience, according to the spirituality of Saint Augustine, expressed mainly in the Rule and in our Constitutions.